Monday, November 12, 2012

Trailing Clouds of Heaven: Free Jarius Wright

To read Pacifist Viking's take on the Vikings 34-24 win over Detroit on Sunday, click here

I've never played a down of organized football in my life. I have no technical "X-and-Os" knowledge of the game culled from coaching years of youth league or any league. And I certainly don't get to watch the Vikings players every day in practise, nor do I pour over game film and dissect their every move like the Vikings offensive coaching staff does.

Nevertheless, some things seem so self-evident that you don't need all that stuff to make the right decision for the football team. So I'm at a loss to explain what Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier is thinking when he said today there is no guarantee rookie wide receiver Jarius Wright will dress for the Vikings next game against Chicago on Nov. 25.

We've read all year that the Vikings lack wide receivers who can beat defenders one-on-one and make plays down the field. We've observed that during the games, too. So why would the Vikings coaching staff even entertain the thought of not playing Wright two weeks from now – even if Percy Harvin is back in the lineup – on the road against a Bears team that features a very tough defense.

It's true that Wright got the lion's share of his production against Detroit during a three-play sequence early in the first quarter. But it was a notable sequence. What I saw on the critical 54 yard catch by Wright on that drive was the rookie accelerate by the Lions linebacker who was dropping into coverage in the middle of the field. He then ate up the ample cushion Detroit Safety Eric Coleman had to defend the deep throw and ran past him. Then he had to – at full speed – throttle down slightly to catch a slightly underthrown ball by Christian Ponder. It was a heck of a play, and a play Michael Jenkins, Devin Aromashodu and Stephen Burton could not make.

Wright only caught three passes the entire game. But he still made a play. And it was a big play. And now the Vikings coaching staff is debating the merits of suiting up the rookie against Chicago?

I don't get it.

KAB progamming note 

As we enter the Vikings bye week, the activity here at Kick Ass Blog might be a little slower than usual.

You see, in late August I found out I had prostate cancer. That was a bit of a surprise for a 43-year-old guy who is pretty active and takes care of himself reasonably well. The good news is that I'm a 43-year-old guy who is pretty active and takes care of himself reasonably well. The cancer has been caught early and recovery is expected to go swimmingly – with a 99 per cent chance I'll cancer-free a few years down the road.

But in order for that to happen, I'll be going under the knife Tuesday morning. And the surgery is going to put me out of blogging commission for most of this week, I think.

Pacifist Viking and TBird might be able to pick up some of the slack, but expect this site to be updated a little less than usual over the next seven days. But I'm going into the surgery happy, thanks to the Vikings win over the Lions. I'll also be off work for a few weeks recuperating from surgery, so I'll be blogging like a motherfucker during that period.   

9 comments:

  1. Hopefully Frazier is just throwing a little smoke into Chicago's game planning process. I would be be pretty surprised if Wright didn't dress.

    Thank God the cancer was spotted early. I threw up a prayer for you and your family this morning - that everything would go smoothly and it would be a time defined by peace and joy rather than otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes on the surgery. Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the surgery. Appreciate your insight into all things Vikings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your procedure and best wishes for a speedy recovery. You guys do great work here, it is very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Here is hoping all goes well and recovery is swift. I for one will miss your updates, Take care. and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck, Darren: I hope it all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there, good luck with the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi everybody:

    I just got back home from the hospital and I've noticed these messages. Thanks to everyone who wished me and my family well. That means a lot. I'm a little sore, but otherwise feeling pretty decent. The surgery went well, my doctor tells me.

    I expect to be back to blogging next week.

    Darren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! Great News.

      Rest up!

      Delete