Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Read this! It's a clear-eyed take on the 2012 Minnesota Vikings

New York Times "Fifth Down" blogger Andy Benoit's team previews are always a treat to read.

The writing is superb. The observations are honest and insightful. And on Tuesday he had his 2012 preview of the Minnesota Vikings.

As you would expect, it's not a pretty critique. Benoit picks the Vikings to finish last in the division (don't tell that to owner Zygi Wilf, who thinks the team will win the NFC North title this season), noting that the quarterback is young and inexperienced, the secondary is a huge question mark and the wide receivers and offensive line are no hell either.

But why spoil it for you, just read the article. It will knock the optimism out of you, which I think might be a good thing during the first year of a rebuilding project.

8 comments:

  1. That was a good read. I'm interested in and not stressed about this year. I want to see how the players play individually, as units, and as a whole. I want to get a feel for where the club is going in the next few years, enjoy my fantasy leagues, and let football commentators provide background noise for lith napping on the couch with the windows open and crisp autumn air rolling through the house.

    I'm going to find a few more of this guy's articles - I would like to see what he's saying about other teams that are hyped to be more than they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure where "lith" came from. omit?

      Delete
  2. Peter:

    I think Benoit has only written about the NFC East so far and you can find all of those articles on the New York Times Fifth Down blog, just keep scrolling down to previous entries.

    I found those articles were even better and more detailed than the one he wrote about the Vikings. He's high on the Eagles, for example, providing the team gets its defense figured out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Note the New York Times has a pay wall on their website now and you can only read 10 articles per month for free on the site. Anymore and you need a subscription. So choose your reading of the previews carefully. (Do you really need to know how the Browns are going to do this year?)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the warning! I read the eagles article because I'm high on Vick and low on Maclin this year, and wanted his take. I will pick and choose carefully, although i'll bet I can read 10 from my phone, 10 from home and 10 from work this year. There's a footballoutsiders guy that writes funny pick 'em articles each week that I don't want to miss, though.

      Delete
    4. oops, double post. not sure why that happened.

      but about the footballoutsiders guy that writes the pick 'em article for NYT? He's leaving FO. Go check out the latest Walkthrough article. Bittersweet.

      Delete
    5. That's Mike Tanier. I like his writing, but he gets a bit too gimmicky sometimes with his Walkthrough. I've always prefered PV over him (and almost everybody else as well.)

      Delete